When you hear the term used shipping containers, your mind doesn’t immediately jump to thinking “I would like to live in one” but apparently some people’s minds do as can be evidenced by an unusual emerging trend…utilising used shipping containers in the construction of a dwelling.
While this might sound like an odd thing to do it is, in fact, quite practical because they are flood proof and durable. Examples of innovative designs which include used shipping containers exist across the globe, from Sao Paulo Brazil to Sardinia in Italy.
Before embarking on a quest to build a home from used shipping containers here are a few things you need to consider:
- It is extremely important to purchase the right containers
- You must design and build in accordance with regulations
- Seek out an experienced contractor
For inspiration check out the following:
- The Decameron Design Shop in Sao Paulo, Brazil
- The Container House by Ecocosa Design Studio and located in Flagstaff, Arizona
- Containers of Hope by Benjamin Garcia Saxe, located in San Jose, Costa Rica
- The 320 square foot Container Guest House designed by Jim Poteet and located in San Antonio Texas
- Situated in Santiago, Chile, The Caterpillar House by Sebastian Irarrazaval
- Summer Residence by Designboom which is located in Sardinia, Italy
- The 1,119 square foot Crossbox House by CG Architects located in Pont-Péan in France
- Zigloo Domestique Complete by Keith Dewey situated in Victoria, Canada
- The Six Oaks Shipping Container Residence designed by David Fenster